Want a fun way to display your creativity? How about creating a Mixed Media Canvas as a part of your home decor? I recently created these three canvases after seeing Halloween canvases demonstrated at Stampin' Up! Convention. Thank you to Carrie Cudney for your inspiration!
I'm not much for Halloween so I thought I would try fall. I have to tell you, I was a bit intimidated to get create these. But once you get going....they are so much fun!! Want to know the steps?
Mixed Media Canvas Tutorial:
- Search for inspiration - colors, images, shapes
- Design/Draw your layout.
- Start with a canvas that you can purchase at a big box craft store. Mine are 6"x6" in size.
- Cut a piece of Designer Series Paper (I'm using Sweater Weather Designer Series Paper) to fit over canvas front. I cut mine a bit larger and wrapped them over the edges.
- INK - Add ink to your Designer Series Paper
- Stamp Images
- Sponge Ink On
- Spritz with Stampin' Spritzer
6. Adhere inked Designer Series Paper to canvas front a Modge Podge. Then cover with a layer of Mod Podge to seal.
7. PAINT - apply a thin, light coat of acrylic paint (in coordinating colors). You can use a dry brush or apply with your finger. Now Mod Podge to seal.
8. PAPER PIECES -
- Die cut or scissor cut your large Designer Series Paper shapes to create your layout. You could tear shapes also for a more rustic look.
- Sponge ink around edges to add dimension.
- Adhere shapes to canvas with Mod Podge. You can add Washi Tape at this point if desired. Now seal/coat with a layer of Mod Podge.
9. OUTLINE - Use a brown or black permanent marker (depending on your color scheme) to outline your paper images. Just draw a small amount at a time and then "blur" (smear) with your finger. If you outline the entire image first, it will be dry by the time you come back to smear the ink.
10. EMBELLISH - adhere buttons, ribbon, candy dots, rhinestones, pearls....whatever you like to finish off your creation!
SIT BACK AND SAY "WOW - I MADE THAT!!"
The collage and rustic feel of mixed media
allows you a lot of creative freedom.
In other words, you really can't mess up!
This canvas has Washi Tape in opposite corners, Linen Thread on the Tangerine Tango Maple Leaf and Neutrals Candy Dots in the upper right corner.
This canvas has Neutrals Buttons tied with Linen Thread in the bottom right corner. I used the Autumn Accents Bigz Die to die cut the leaves.
This one features an Oval die cut pumpkin with the leaves created using the Little Leaves Sizzlit. The stem is hand cut. I used the Morning Post Alphabet stamp set for letters. A piece of Burlap Ribbon set off with a Very Vintage Designer Button and Taffeta Ribbon finish it off.
I really hope you try to create a canvas of your own! Whether it be a monogram for your child's room or seasonal decor for you house - YOU CAN DO THIS!
Please CONTACT ME or Leave a Comment if you have any questions on how to create a Mixed Media Canvas of your own.